(110) Since you have been empowered by the Qur'an, you are the best suited Community that has been raised up for the good of mankind. It is your duty to enjoin the Right and forbid the Wrong, since you accept the Final Word of God as the Criterion (3:4). The Qur'an clearly educates you on the Permanent Moral Value System and decrees authoritatively what the otherwise vague terms of 'right' and 'wrong', and 'good' and 'evil' might mean. Now if the People of the Scripture had attained this kind of belief, it would have been for their own good. But only few among them are believers, while most of them are drifting away from the Truth.
(110) You are the best nation raised up for men: you enjoin good and forbid evil and you believe in Allah. And if the People of the Book had believed, it would have been better for them. Some of them are believers but most of them are transgressors.
(110) You are the best nation ever to be brought forth for people. You order honor and forbid dishonor, and you believe in Allah. Had the People of the Book believed, it would have surely been better for them. Some of them are believers, but most of them are evildoers.
(110) YOU ARE indeed the best community that has ever been brought forth for [the good of] mankind: you enjoin the doing of what is right and forbid the doing of what is wrong, and you believe in God. Now if the followers of earlier revelation had attained to [this kind of] faith, it would have been for their own good; [but only few] among them are believers, while most of them are iniquitous:
(110) kuntum khayra ommatin okhrijat lilnnaasi tamuroona bialma`roofi watanhawna `ani almunkari watuminoona biallaahi walaw aamana ahlu alkitaabi lakaana khayran lahum minhumu almuminoona waaktharuhumu alfaasiqoona
you (p) were »you are
you have been
it brought out »brought out
to the people »for the people
you (p) order »you command
to the right »to (with) kindness
the defiance of Allaah and His orders
with Allaah »by Allaah
you relations »you tribe
would have been »would be
than them »from them